Monday, October 18, 2010

Sammy - Her Happy and Not So Happy Days

Do you remember when I wrote how Sammy is usually quite grouchy but sometimes she has her good moments?
 ~~~
This is Sammy...when she's happy
Earlier this spring/summer when I'd walk up the driveway to get the mail she would follow me.  Once I got the mail out of the mail box and turn around to go back she would come up to me.  She knew I would pick her up so she would kind of jump into my arms and pull herself onto my shoulders.  Then I'd walk down the driveway with her on my shoulders.  
We did this nearly everyday.

Then she would get pregnant and grouchy yet again.  You really didn't want to be around her when close to the time when she would have the kittens.  She had her babies (6) in the end of August.  For some unknown reason she would not feed them, and she had them in all sorts of places (2 in a closet, 3 in a basket that we provided and 1 under the porch during the night).  She totally rejected them, hissing whenever she got near them.  These kittens would have died if it hadn't been for Molly.  She had just had 3 kittens a week earlier so we gave Sammy's kittens to her and she took care of them.  However Molly had an armful of kittens to care for now (6 + 3 = 9), and not all that much milk.  So we bought some kitten formula and the most adorable kitten bottle...

 ...and fed them ourselves.  
They loved it!

Because we  bottle fed them for a majority of their meals they are especially gentle and love to be held.   
Also, because they were malnourished this little one especially is quite small.  Actually even though this one is a month old it is not much bigger now than in the picture.

2 comments:

Sarah B. said...

The kitten pics are soo cute--just like you said! I want one. =)And tell Heather I love the new pic of her on your blog. VERY pretty!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness these pictures are absolutely perfect! WOW, your like the best photographer I know! How are you? I miss hearing from you.